Formerly known as the "Stewardship Team", this ministry team focuses on organizing efforts for Gethsemane's members and friends to show their generosity to one another and to our neighbors.
Gethsemane's Favor of the month
As we began our Generosity Team we realized that there were many ongoing needs in our community. We then decided to focus on one service project per month, thus named the "Favor of the Month"
- January - Taking Care of our Kids – We held a donation drive in which sweatshirts, leggings, sweatpants, personal hygiene products and lice treatments were donated to our local schools’ clothes closets for any and all children.
- February - Honoring our Homebound – A dedicated member of our team began sending monthly cards to our homebound – such special members of our church family.
- March – Hope in a Handbag – We collect gently used purses, totes and handbags which we fill with personal hygiene products for all current and future residents of Katherine's House in Eveleth (a local vulnerable women's housing organization).
- April - Help Heal Ukraine – In 2022 we focused on global care by reaching out to our neighbors in Ukraine. Through special offering envelopes, we collected over $2200 for Lutheran World Relief.
- May - Spring Cleaning for Bill's House/Youth Foyer – We gather cleaning supplies to provide to all residents of Bill’s House and the Youth Foyer as they begin to clean their new and/or existing homes for the spring season.
- June - Cleaning out our Closets for God – We collect gently used and new towels for our neighbors at CHUM in Duluth and women's bras for "We Support the Girls." It is amazing to see the donations from our members. In 2022 we collected ___ towels and ___ bras!
- July – Furniture Drive for Range Transitional Housing – We open our garage doors and collect furniture and household items for our neighbors with Range Transitional Housing. The generosity of our members and friends is always astounding.
- August - Rock the Block Picnic – Together with our neighbors at Peace United Methodist, we host an annual neighborhood Block Party in which we provide hot dogs, corn on the cob, root beer floats, live music, and children’s games to our neighbors free of charge. This is always a huge success!
- September - Reverse Offering – All of us are called to be servants of Christ in our own ways. How has God guided you to give back to others? We ask our members to share their most recent act of kindness and service to a note card, place the completed card in the offering plate, and we will publish these ideas for everyone to see and learn from! We are inspired by our members and know that we are all doing what we are called to do. Jesus once said that "whatever we do to the least of our neighbors, we do to Him."
- October - Stocktober & Trunk or Treat – We hold a food drive to supplement our ever-popular Little Free Pantry. We have a fun left-side versus right-side competition and one side wins bragging rights for the most food donations. We also share in the Trunk or Treat celebration with our neighbors, Peace United Methodist, offering Halloween treats to our neighborhood children.
- November - Thank you to our Congregation! – Instead of asking for more support this month, we turn the tables and thank our congregational members for all of their support during the year. We couldn’t do our “Favors of the Month” without them!
- December - Transitional Housing Christmas gifts, Christmas Cookies for Bill’s House, Bell ringing for Salvation Army, ELCA Good Gifts – We offer many opportunities for our congregational members to give back to our neighbors during this blessed Christmas time.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Do you have a passion to help others? Do you have some time to help others with various projects throughout the year? Do you only have a little time but wish to share some creative ideas? We are always looking for more members for our Generosity Team! We meet on the 4th Tuesday of the month at 4:00 in the church library. If you are interested, please contact Sheila Davidson or call the church office and join this awesome team!
Other Giving Opportunities
Community Clothesline & Little Free Food Pantry
GIVE WHAT YOU CAN - TAKE WHAT YOU NEED!
Cleaning out your closet? Bring your gently used or new items to share with our neighbors on the community clothesline! Place in plastic bags and mark with style & size. ex. “Men’s L shirt” The Community Clothesline is a place where members and friends can donate and find new or gently used clothing. It is located on the chain-link fence at the west end of our building (between the building and the creek).
Our Little Free Food Pantry is open for anyone to donate or take what they need. Nonperishable food items, personal care, and paper products are usually stocked in the pantry. The pantry is refilled daily and is emptied very quickly. As you are grocery shopping, please consider if - CAN YOU BUY TWO? One item for yourself, and one item for our food pantry?
ELCA Good Gifts
ELCA Good Gifts is a great alternative to giving more STUFF for birthdays and holidays. Instead, try giving the gift of generosity and joy. You can provide education for a child, clean water for a village, livestock or seeds to a farming family, or even help fund a budding pastor's education! When you give a gift, you can choose a card to send or give to someone to let them know you gave in honor of them!